Even though I have all these issues below, I now understand that it is part of who I am, I deeply and completely love and accept myself, I forgive myself and I forgive anyone else who contributed to these issues. Sometimes it’s hard to be me, I have issues like
- the constant push and pull involved in trying to make up my mind, but that’s ok
- procrastinating because of fear of failure; having little confidence in myself, but that’s ok
- fearing being abandoned or taken advantage of, but that’s ok
- exhausting myself by worrying and scanning for danger, but that’s ok
- wishing I had a rule book at work so I could do everything right, but that’s ok
- being too critical of myself when I haven’t lived up to my expectations, but that’s ok
- Now that I understand more, that I am more than the sum of my emotions, thoughts and actions, I can also choose to transcend and release those energies which are not in my best interest to retain.
I now choose to release…
- my fear of being abandoned and alone.
- my self-defeating, self-punishing tendencies.
- all feelings of dread about the future.
- feeling persecuted, trapped, and desperate.
- overreacting and exaggerating my problems.
- taking out my fears and anxieties on others.
- being suspicious of others and thinking the worst of them.
- feeling inferior and incapable of functioning on my own.
- feeling cowardly and unsure of myself.
- acting “tough” to disguise my insecurities.
- my fear and dislike of those who are different from me.
- blaming others for my own problems and mistakes.
- being evasive and defensive with those who need me.
- my tendency to be negative and complaining.
- my fear of taking responsibility for my mistakes.
- looking to others to make me feel secure.
I choose to acknowledge and appreciate myself for my strong points, like
- being committed and faithful to family and friends
- being responsible and hardworking
- being compassionate toward others
- having intellect and wit
- being a nonconformist
- confronting danger bravely
- being direct and assertive
I now choose to affirm…
- that I am independent and capable.
- that I can keep my own identity in groups and in relationships.
- that I have faith in myself, my talents, and my future.
- that I meet difficulties with calmness and confidence.
- that I am secure and able to make the best of whatever comes my way.
- the kinship I have with every human being.
- that I am understanding and generous to all who need me.
- that I act courageously in all circumstances.
- that I find true authority within me.
Renee Baron & Elizabeth Wagele, The Enneagram Made Easy
Don Richard Riso, Enneagram Transformations